Re: db> reset -> panic: acquiring blockable sleep lock with spinlock or critical section held ...

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 19:40:47 UTC
On Mon, 20 Nov 2023, Mitchell Horne wrote:

Hi Mitchell,

> On 11/16/23 18:21, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I seem to remember changes related to that a while ago but my cache
>> is miss for the actual change.  Are we suppoed to handle this case?
>>
>> It would be nice if "reset" would reset again the first time ...
>>

> Hi Bjoern,
>
> This is still my fault, I am sorry to say. If you recall, I proposed a fix
> after your initial report (back in February!), see

now that you say I do.  I thought we had this all sorted.  Cache miss, miss.
Maybe I had a local patch and hadn't seen it for a while because of that.
I likely dropped the ball on review and testing feedback.

> I posted what I believe to be the better fix just now, see
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D42684. I will commit this ASAP along with some
> other tweaks to shutdown hooks which should (loaded word) eliminate this type
> of recursive panic during debugger reset. At least, that is the goal of the
> series :)
>
> I apologize for the delay on this, my ability to finish some of the work I've
> started has been spotty this year.

Oh, no worries; I've been way worse this year.  Thank you for stepping up
working on this and the fixes.  It is much appreciated!

Bjoern

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7