Re: How much survives an install/reboot cycle?

From: Zhenlei Huang <zlei_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 01:12:45 UTC

> On Nov 19, 2023, at 11:51 PM, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>
> How much of a running system's state survives a reboot? I used to think
> the answer was "nothing", but from time to time a second reboot behaves
> a  little differently from the previous one.

Warner has a good description about that. I totally agree.

> The most recent example was an update to bpf.c: Prior to the update an
> armv7 system had been inclined to drop ssh connections left up for days.
> After updating and running a build/install cycle the behavior persisted,
> but since a second reboot with no intentional changes it has stopped.

The most recent change to bpf.c is 7a974a649848 (bpf: Make dead_bpf_if const) .
It is not a functional change, and I do not think it will affect ssh.
There could be issues under the earth.

Anyway please do not hesitate to report if you get recovered by reverting 7a974a649848.

> I've not tampered with nextboot, so I don't think that's it. Maybe I'm
> just imagining imagining things....
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> bob prohaska

Best regards,