Re: bhyve -G <port>

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:57:35 UTC
On 10/9/23 5:21 PM, Bakul Shah wrote:
> Any hints on how to use bhyve's -G <port> option to debug a VM
> kernel? I can connect to it from gdb with "target remote :<port>"
> & bhyve stops the VM initially but beyond that I am not sure.
> Ideally this should work just like an in-circuit-emulator, not
> requiring anything special in the VM or kernel itself.

step only works on Intel CPUs currently (and is a bit fragile
anyway due to interrupts firing while you try to step, but that
happens for me in QEMU as well).   Breakpoints should work fine.
I tend to use 'until' to do stepping (basically stepping via
temporary breakpoints) when debugging the kernel this way.

--
John Baldwin