Re: Updating motherboard BIOS without MS Windows

From: Lorenzo Salvadore <developer_at_lorenzosalvadore.it>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 11:25:55 UTC
On Saturday, November 11th, 2023 at 11:56, Nuno Teixeira <eduardo@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Maybe not the best mailing to ask it but...
>
> How do you update BIOS without Windows since most brands only have bios software to windows?
>
> I'm about to buy a new pc without windows license and I'm looking for brands that have bios-cli that work in FreeBSD.
>
> Thanks,

Hello,

I did such a thing about a year ago. I do not remember the details, but I
think I had downloaded a windows exe file, then I extracted the firmware from it
(I do not remember which software I used, maybe binwalk), I put it on a
usb key and finally I installed it using the utility in the motherboard,
available when powering the computer, before booting windows.

Cheers,

Lorenzo Salvadore