Re: revision not displayed in a2440348eed7

From: Marek Zarychta <zarychtam_at_plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 13:10:02 UTC
W dniu 27.09.2023 o 01:07, Tomoaki AOKI pisze:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 15:19:46 -0700
> Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com> wrote:
>
>> In message <20230926231431.20f42fec1075c3980446c50a@dec.sakura.ne.jp>,
>> Tomoaki
>> AOKI writes:

>>> Just a possibility, but copying src tree to directory other than the
>>> directory where checked out from git repo and building there could
>>> lose track with git hash.
>>>
>>> Another possibility is that if you build src with any user other than
>>> the one owning local (pulled) git repo could also lose track with git
>>> hash. For example, if I `git log HEAD` with regular user and the local
>>> repo is pulled by root, it fails. No special configuration is done.
>>>
>>> % git log HEAD
>>> fatal: detected dubious ownership in repository at '/usr/src'
>>> To add an exception for this directory, call:
>>>
>>>          git config --global --add safe.directory /usr/src
>>>

>> This could be due to e6dc6a27230, which was committed this morning. There
>> is discussion on the src commits ML (dev-commits-src-all,
>> dev-commits-src-main) about reverting the change.
>>

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
>> FreeBSD UNIX:  <cy@FreeBSD.org>   Web:  https://FreeBSD.org
>> NTP:           <cy@nwtime.org>    Web:  https://nwtime.org
>>
>> 			e^(i*pi)+1=0
> Would be unrelated here, unfortunately.
> As the subject says, the commit the original reporter is bitten at (not
> bi-sected) is at a2440348eed7, which is before e6dc6a27230.

Let's refresh this thread. It looks like (at least for stable/14) build
system doesn't hardcode revision into the kernel anymore. Last time it
worked to me was just after branching stable/14. Today I tried to build
kernel from sources mounted over NFS and I ened with:

# strings /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/BSDONDELL/kernel | grep
14.0-STABLE
@(#)FreeBSD 14.0-STABLE #6 -dirty: Tue Nov  7 14:04:35 CET 2023
FreeBSD 14.0-STABLE #6 -dirty: Tue Nov  7 14:04:35 CET 2023
14.0-STABLE

the source repository is updated, consisted, but mounted read-only over NFS

/usr/src# git status
On branch stable/14
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/stable/14'.

Untracked files:
   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
         sys/amd64/conf/BSDONDELL

It took 2.53 seconds to enumerate untracked files.
See 'git help status' for information on how to improve this.

nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)

Any clues what could be wrong ? Does /usr/src/  require write
permissions now ?

--
Marek Zarychta