Re: Surprise null root password

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 15:36:21 UTC
On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 08:41:33AM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> Quoting bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> (from Fri, 26 May 2023 16:26:06
> -0700):
>
> > On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 10:55:49PM +0200, Yuri wrote:
> > >
> > > The question is how you update the configuration files,
> > > mergemaster/etcupdate/something else?
> > >

> > Via etcupdate after installworld. In the event the system
> > requests manual intervention I accept "theirs all". It seems
> > odd if that can null a root password.
> >
> > Still, it does seem an outside possibility. I could see it adding
> > system users, but messing with root's existing password seems a
> > bit unexpected.
>
> As you are posting to -current@, I expect you to report this issue about
> 14-current systems. As such: there was a "recent" change (2021-10-20) to the
> root entry to change the shell.
> https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/etc/master.passwd?id=d410b585b6f00a26c2de7724d6576a3ea7d548b7
>
> By blindly accepting all changes, this has reset the PW to the default
> setting (empty).

So it's a line-by-line merge. That's the most sensible explanation available.

> I suggest to review changes ("df" instead of "tf" in etcupdate) to at least
> those files which you know you have modified, including the password/group
> stuff. After that you can decide if the diff which is shown with "df" can be
> applied ("tf"), or if you want to keep the old version ("mf"), or if you
> want to modify the current file ("e", with both versions present in the file
> so that you can copy/paste between the different versions and keep what you
> need).

The key sequences required to copy and paste between files in the edit screen
were elusive. Probably it was thought self-evident, but not for me. I last tried
it long ago, via mergemaster. Is there is a guide to commands for merging files
using /etcupdate? Is it in the vi man page? I couldn't find it.

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska