Re: Using etcupdate resolve, was Re: Surprise null root password

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 02:41:20 UTC
I want to thank Patrick, Dmitry and Mark for providing
orientation sufficient to make some headway. The Handbook
simply says

"If etcupdate(8) is not able to merge a file automatically,
the merge conflicts can be resolved with manual interaction
by issuing:

# etcupdate resolve

While not wrong, it's certainly less than the whole story 8-)

It's unfortunate that the example posted was a trivial case,
certainly I didn't tamper with BSD.tests.dist and tf was the
correct response.

If I'm understanding correctly, the file presented by the
df and e options contains essentially all possible versions,
characters. Once edited, that will become the new local
version of the file. If this is mistaken please say so.

bob prohaska