Re: Tooling Integration and Developer Experience

From: Michael Gmelin <grembo_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 22:03:28 UTC

> On 31. Jan 2023, at 22:44, Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> Hi!

>>> There's the issue that Phabricator itself is no longer supported
>>> upstream:
> [...]
>>> https://we.phorge.it/
>
>> Should be no harder than regular update. They even have a HOWTO
>> https://we.phorge.it/w/installation_and_setup/update_from_phabricator/
>
> So, as a step 0 we would need a phorge port...
>> 1. Upgrade to Phorge
>> 2. Setup Maniphest for bugs and tasks
>> 3. Migrate bugs into Maniphest
>> 4. Enable Harbormaster (Build/CI) - this requires coordination with
>> whoever is working on pre-commit CI.
> [...]
>> Infra operations are hard, and I have experience with it. I'd be happy to
>> help.
>
> Do you think you can provide a phorge port ?

I created the phabricator port in 2014 and have been maintaining it since then. I’m also subscribed to phorge, so technically I could also maintain a phorge port (I also have many years of experience in maintaining and using phabricator instances, also fixing bugs and adding some local features).

So far I haven’t created a port for phorge, as progress on it seemed very slow (and many of the changes were also merged into phab) and therefore there was little incentive to migrate any of the instances I maintain.

AFAIK FreeBSD’s phabricator instance is not based on the port and uses custom patches anyway (I can’t remember having a single communication with phabricator-admin regarding the port), therefore having a phorge port most likely isn’t a pre-condition for the project to use it.

Best