Re: Tooling Integration and Developer Experience

From: Mina_Galić <freebsd_at_igalic.co>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 15:42:12 UTC
Hi folks,

I'd like to first of all thank Warner for all his hard work. Working on infrastructure can seem like pretty thankless work.

As an outsider to FreeBSD, but not an outsider to the workings of FLOSS organisations, I just want to remind everyone of one core issue: It's usually insiders, not outside contributors, who do the the thankless infrastructure work. That creates two bottlenecks: People who can work on infrastructure, and people who can review incoming patches and nominate new contributors to become committers.

Having a spread out infrastructure that needs to be supported and upgraded means committer time is held up in software upgrade / migration tasks, but it also means that outside contributors spend an unnecessarily long time finding the right avenue to contribute to the right part of the code.

Mina Galić
Try PkgBase: https://alpha.pkgbase.live/