Re: RES: TP-LINK USB no carrier after speed test

From: Ivan Quitschal <tezeka_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 23:33:36 UTC

On Mon, 26 Sep 2022, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> On 9/26/22 21:28, Alexander Motin wrote:
>> Ivan,
>>
>> On 26.09.2022 13:11, Ivan Quitschal wrote:
>>> bad news im afraid, problem occurred at the first attempt on
>>> speedtest.net.
>>> and I'm really trying to help you analizying this code here myself, but
>>> problem is: im far from expert on network protocol business. if it is a
>>> network problem at all. seems to me more like a USB protocol limit issue
>>> or something ..  just FYI , limiting that first constant to 2048 still
>>> limits my  upload to 90mbps , and also still solves the issue .. there has
>>> to be something about it obviously
>>
>> On my tests I found that reduction of URE_MAX_TX from 4 to 1 actually help
>> a lot more without so dramatic performance decrease.  Though it is likely
>> only a workaround and does not explain the cause, so I hope Hans more ideas
>> for us to test. ;)
>>

> Hi,
>
> I've got a supposedly "broken" if_ure dongle from Alexander, but I'm unable
> to reproduce the if_ure hang on two different pieces of XHCI hardware, Intel
> based and AMD based, which I've got.
>
> This leads me to believe there is a bug in the XHCI driver or hardware on
> your system.
>
> Can you share the pciconfig -lv output for your XHCI controllers?
>
> Also, when running the stress test and you see the traffic stops, what
> happens if you run this command as root on the ugen which the if_ure belongs
> to:
>
> usbconfig -d ugenX.Y dump_string 0
>
> Does the traffic resume?
>
> --HPS

hi Hans

without any patch , the actual code on repository

pciconf -lv
xhci0@pci0:0:20:0:  class=0x0c0330 rev=0x20 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0xa0ed
subvendor=0x1028 subdevice=0x0ab0
     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
     device     = 'Tiger Lake-LP USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 xHCI Host Controller'
     class      = serial bus
     subclass   = USB

did the stress test, got the problem, then i tried the below

[root@tzk-inspiron ~ ]# usbconfig -d ugen0.6 dump_string 0
STRING_0x00 = 0x04, 0x03, 0x09, 0x04
[root@tzk-inspiron ~ ]#

nothing happened, still no carrier. in order to get back the internet i had to
[root@tzk-inspiron ~ ]# usbconfig -d ugen0.6 reset

--tzk