Re: domain names and internationalization?

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:27:40 UTC
Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net> wrote:
>## Rick Macklem (rmacklem@uoguelph.ca):
>
>> I am hoping someone knows what DNS does in this area (the
>> working group list uses terms like umlaut, which I have never
>> even heard of;-).
>
>The dry start on that topic is RFC5890
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5890
>The Wikipedia overview looks really decent:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name
>What else?
Thanks. Both the RFC and wikipedia article were useful.

It turns out that the messy part for NFSv4 is that the RFCs
specified that the labels were in Unicode (U-labels) and
not A-labels.
--> RFC 7530 also wants the code to translate an A-label
       to a U-label and then compare U-labels. (Not sure why
       that is preferable to a case independent comparison of
       the A-labels, but maybe the intent was that an A-label
       would compare the same as a U-label in a domain name?)

The FreeBSD man page for hostname(1) and gethostname(3)
don't seem to limit the labels in the name to A-label format.

Does anyone use non-ascii (ie. a U-label with multibyte characters
in it) in a machine's hostname?

Right now the coding of nfsuserd(8) does not conform to the RFCs,
but should work for domain names where all the labels are
A-labels (either LDN or "xn--" followed by a Punycode encoded
unicode string).

rick

Gruß <-- see? eszett :)
Christoph