Re: Good practices with bectl

From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 00:58:34 UTC
On 21/09/2022 01:47, Graham Perrin wrote:

> On 20/09/2022 23:14, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
>
>> Hello to all,
>>
>> I will use becl for the first time for current upgrades.
>> Just to check that I'm thinking correctly:
>>
>> Create a test environment for upgrade:
>> > bectl create -r test (should I use '-r'?)
>> Activate test:
>> > bectl activate test
>> > reboot
>> > upgrade OS on test
>> …
> If using freebsd-update(8) to perform the upgrade: please be aware
> that, with recent releases of the OS, there's automated creation of a
> snapshot of a boot environment.
>
> <https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=freebsd-update.conf&sektion=5&manpath=FreeBSD>,
> CreateBootEnv
>
> Omitted from release notes; sorry.

True: no freebsd-update for CURRENT, however I'm raising awareness of
the automation. (My own experience: a habit adopted with CURRENT might
be accidentally repeated with RELEASE.)

For updates/upgrades to CURRENT: I do prefer to create, activate then
boot an environment before installing.

----

With the alternative (a snapshot that's not active), and a Default boot
environment, things can become confusing when the preferred environment
is no longer Default, especially if (in rare situations) Default becomes
no longer bootable. Need to think _very_ carefully about names and the
appropriateness of renaming.