Re: domain names and internationalization?

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_leidinger.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 05:52:27 UTC
Quoting Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> (from Mon, 19 Sep 2022
20:27:29 +0000):

> Hi,
>
> Recently there has been discussion on the NFSv4 IETF working
> group email list w.r.t. internationalization for the domain name
> it uses for users/groups.
>
> Right now, I am pretty sure the FreeBSD nfsuserd(8) only works
> for ascii domain names, but...
>
> I am hoping someone knows what DNS does in this area (the
> working group list uses terms like umlaut, which I have never
> even heard of;-).

DNS does this:
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode
This page also shows some umlauts (German ones to be precise, e.g.
"Bücher") and other things like chinese and other characters.

There are libs which do the conversation, e.g.
https://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/doxygen/index.html
I don't know if there are libs with more preferred licenses.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net Alexander@Leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF