Re: loading amfgpu results in immefiate power off on 12.3-STABLE r371721

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:08:52 UTC

On 3/25/22 21:42, Chris wrote:
> This probably isn't the correct list. But it's the closest of
> all the lists I'm subscribed to. Please forgive me.
> OK so here's what happened. I couldn't get the trackpad on a
> Dell laptop I just got to work in FreeBSD-13. So after a couple
> of days, I gave up and tried 12.3-STABLE r371721 today. Once I got
> the network (wifi) going. I pkg installed drm-kmod && it's depends.
> Added kld_list="amdgpu" to rc.conf && rebooted. The moment it
> loaded, the screen went black and it powered off. Booted to
> single-user, fsck && cp /var/log/messages to ~/ .
> I'm attaching a copy in case it sheds any light on the cause.
> The most interesting thing about all this, is that amdgpu
> worked flawlessly on 13 -- go figure.

this discussion is probably best suited for the freebsd-x11 mailing
list, but i think you can try a couple things:

- give NomadBSD a spin (https://nomadbsd.org/).  it's a live USB image
that does a really good job at auto-detecting hardware and giving you
nice desktop.  it's based on freebsd-13.0.  you can also install it on
your disk if everything looks good.  i frequently use it to test
hardware support on new systems i encounter.

- it's hard to tell without any hardware info provided, but its possible
you have an older AMD gpu, as such you might want to try using radeonkms
in rc.conf rather than amdgpu.

if neither of those things help i'd definitely suggest subscribing to
the freebsd-x11@ mailing list to get the appropriate eyes on things: