Re: Is the graphics on AMD A8-7410 APU (Radeon R5 Graphics) supported?

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 22:45:23 UTC

On 3/23/22 15:09, Chris wrote:
> On 2022-03-23 14:57, Pete Wright wrote:
>> On 3/23/22 14:44, Chris wrote:
>>> On a releng/13 install. I've installed the drm-kmod and loaded both
>>> the amdgpu
>>> and the radeonkms (at different times). I also installed the
>>> xf86-ati driver.
>>> But X isn't happy with it. This is in a laptop with the A8-7410. It
>>> claims
>>> Radeon R5 (formerly Carrizo). I find no mention of it in the on the
>>> FBSD Graphics
>>> wiki, or any of the links from there. Has anyone set one of these up
>>> sucessfully?
>>> Is it even possible? If so, what must I do?
>>
>> hey chris - what happens when you load the amdgpu driver via
>> rc.conf?  does it
>> load correctly, or does the system crash on boot? for example what
>> does "dmesg |
>> grep drm" look like?
> Hey pete, thanks for the prompt reply!
> It "flashes" but the resolution doesn't appear to change. It's booting
> UEFI, if that
> should matter. grep(1) output attached. It's a bit long to paste inline.
>>
>> assuming it does load successfully i think you are using the wrong
>> xorg driver as
>> the xf86-ati driver is ATI not amd devices.  Does loading
>> xf86-video-amdgpu work
>> better?
> You're probably right. I'll give that a try.
>
> Thanks again! :-)

no worries!  i took a peek at your dmesg and i think once you install
the amdgpu xorg driver you'll be good to go.  the screen flash is just
the display cutting over to the new driver and is expected.

looks like it detected both of your displays too so you window manager
should pick them up too.  a bunch of work was done recently to make xorg
load up correctly without any configuration files - so you shouldn't
even need to setup an xorg.conf or anything like that :)

have fun!
-pete

--
Pete Wright