Re: Posting netiquette: HTML, attachments etc.

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 18:59:04 UTC
On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 12:32:41PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2022, 12:20 PM Walter Parker <walterp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So, utf-8 is good, posting to multiple lists is bad (but ok when you do
> > it), what about the original post? He was asking about HTML. UTF-8 != HTML.
> > UTF is a character encoding format. It is supported by most email clients
> > and does not require HTML for support.
> >

> Html is fine as well. Most modern mail platforms generate it for you,
> whether you want them too or not. Most of the advice in appendix c is dated
> and doesn't really match what people do on the lists. Phones and web based
> Gmail are to large a presence to ignore or have policies against. I stopped
> listening to complaints about how Gmail or my phone formatted posts 5 years
> ago... and I'm definitely an old school straggler...
>
> Warner

Note that the mailing list engine will reject html only email, html is fine as
long at it is created with text/plain alternative.

Note that only the text/plain alternative will be used to construct the archive,
and I will not ever work on trying to render properly an html only formatted
thing via the archiver, it will require too many escaping and madness to be done
safely, I will simply drop the ball to someone else here ;)

bapt