Re: Posting Netiquette [ref: Threads "look definitely like" unreadable mess. Handbook project.]

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 06:33:04 UTC
On Thursday, 23 June 2022 at  6:03:20 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 13:01:18 +1000, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>>   [...] I personally find that prepending
>>   ">" to the original message works best. Leaving white space after
>>   the "> " and leave empty lines between your text and the original
>>   text both make the result more readable.
>
> Prepending what? After the what? Seems there is a charset mismatch.

Ugh.  Yes, you're right.

> Or is it just my MUA displaying nonsense (which would be new to me).
> Oh the joy of UTF-8... ;-)

What happened here was that I copied the text from the (UTF-8) web
page into a text that was (I think) implicitly ISO 8859.  My copy of
the message also shows this mutilation.  But strangely, replying to
this message, I find that the text has been automatically recovered.
It doesn't stay that way: in the editor it looks correct, but the MUA
displays it incorrectly.  The issue was with the quotation marks, and
it should look correct above now.

> Otherwise, I completely agree to the concept that form and content
> should match, and that form can help a lot to improve readability
> and accessibility of information in general.

And people shouldn't make the kind of mess that I managed to make :-(

Does anybody have an opinion on character set recommendations?  I
think we should ask for UTF-8 if at all possible.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php