Re: from X to terminal needs an fflush

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 22:09:56 UTC
On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 3:54 PM Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:

> On 2022-07-27 13:45, Ivan Quitschal wrote:

> far

> "F2",
> but
> order

> >> hi
> >>
> >> no gyuys, i know how to go back from X to terminal, what i was saying
> is
> >> that by doing CTRL + ALT + F* it wasnt working until i did *another*
> >> CTRL+ALT+F<something>.
> >>
> >> example:
> >> im getting off from X , so i do an CTRL+ALT+F2
> >>
> >> nothing happens, until you do *another* CTRL+ALT+F3 . so you gotta do a
> >> CTRL+ALT+F* twice in order to get back to terminal
> >>
> >> but i found out the problem lies within enlightenment themes, not
> anything
> >> else .
> >> at least the problem is  solved by changing EE theme, this way i can
> get
> >> back instantly to terminal with just ONE CTRL+ALT+F2
> >>
> >> thanks
> >>
> >> Ivan
> >>

> > btw, there is something i always wanted to ask, why do we have just 9
> > terminals?
> > im really asking , never understood that
> >
> > in my case here , im using all F* keys
> >
> > my /etc/ttys
> >
> > ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   onifexists secure
> > # Virtual terminals
> > ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   onifexists secure
> > ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   onifexists secure
> > ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   onifexists secure
> > ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   onifexists secure
> > ttyv5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   onifexists secure
> > ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   onifexists secure
> > ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   onifexists secure
> > ttyv8   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   onifexists secure
> > ttyv9   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   onifexists secure
> > ttyva   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   onifexists secure
> > ttyvb   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
> >

> > my F-key dedicated to get back to X is F12 , as it should be IMO.
> question
> > is ,
> > why isnt it yet?
> >
> > im sure there is a reason, just curious because honestly i got no idea
> > whatsoever
> ttys(5) is fairly informative and less /etc/ttys has some info. But I
> can't
> remember
> the history on why 9 was the default. The SUN || terminal keyboard
> mapping,
> maybe?

The default has 8 terminals (v0 - v7) with xdm running on v8. The great
syscons
rewrite of 1999 set MAXCONS to 16, but it was 16 before the rewrite.
Digging further
we see it was 3 in 1998 when ttys was moved to etc/etc.i386, but later
expanded to 8
in July of 1999 by des with the explanation "Feed the vty monster".

tl;dr: Meh, 8 seems good, since 3 was too few.

Warner