Re: BLAKE3 unstability?

From: Ryan Moeller <freqlabs_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 18:37:15 UTC
On 7/11/22 11:43 AM, Ryan Moeller wrote:

> On 7/9/22 1:56 PM, Evgeniy Khramtsov wrote:
>> I can reproduce via:
>>
>> $ truncate -s 10G /tmp/test
>> $ mdconfig -f /tmp/test -S 4096
>> $ zpool create test /dev/md1
>> $ zfs create -o checksum=blake3 test/b
>> $ dd if=/dev/random of=/test/b/noise bs=1M count=4096
>> $ sync
>> $ zpool scrub test
>> $ zpool status
>
> I cannot reproduce this on openzfs/zfs@cb01da68057 (the commit that
> was most recently merged) built out of tree on either stable/13
> 70fd40edb86 or main 9aa02d5120a.
>
> I'll update a system and see if I can reproduce it with the in-tree ZFS.
>
> - Ryan

It did not reproduce for me with in-tree ZFS on main@3c9ad9398fcd either.

Could you share sysctl kstat.zfs.misc.chksum_bench, maybe we are using
different implementations?
I do see that blake3 went in with only a Linux module parameter for the
implementation selection, so I'll have to fix that. For now we can at
least see which was fastest, which should be the one selected. You just
won't be able to manually change it to see if that helps.

- Ryan