Re: Accessibility in the FreeBSD installer and console

From: Klaus_Küchemann <maciphone2_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 07:22:10 UTC

> Am 10.07.2022 um 01:59 schrieb Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>:
>

>> On 9. Jul 2022, at 03:22, Klaus Küchemann <maciphone2@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Am 07.07.2022 um 19:32 schrieb Hans Petter Selasky <hps at selasky.org>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The only argument I've heard from some non-sighted friends about not using FreeBSD natively is that ooh, MacOSX is so cool. It starts speaking from the start if I press this and this key. …….
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to shortly introduce myself.
>> I am indispensable  for all your friends and everybody else
>> and yes, I can speak (and I can even hear)-
>> I am the de facto standard for everything audio for Apple users and I even can
>> make users of other OSes very very happy.
>>

>>> Am 08.07.2022 um 12:53 schrieb Hans Petter Selasky <hps at selasky.org>:
>>> Hi,
>>> Here is the complete patch for Voice-Over in the FreeBSD console:
>>>
>>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D35754
>>>
>>> You need to install espeak from pkg and then install the /etc/devd/accessibility.conf file and then run sysctl kern.vt.accessibility.enable=1 after booting the new kernel.
>>>
>>> It is freaking awesome!
>>>
>>> There might be some bugs, but it worked fine for me!
>>>
>>> —HPS
>>
>> Congratulations !
>>
>> But while reading the docs of your system`s bluetooth drivers I became a bit afraid
>> that I won’t be fully supported , I hope this is unfounded.
>>
>> It’s not only that I’m a shiny white culty thing ..
>> your friends can leave me in their ears and can simultaneously hear the surroundings AND the Audio output.
>> That’s why I’m indispensable…
>>
>> Will you ensure that at least one bt-chip will support me in your system and will you
>> care for the corresponding drivers?
>>
>> If yes I would be happy to meet you in your VT-console ,
>>
>> And when you later even support vice versa:
>> -SpeechToText- ,
>> It’s possible that we become friends for life .
>>

>> Best Regards,
>> yours
>>
>> AirPodsPro  :-)

Hi,

> But why would you ever leave your family that was designed from the ground up to match you and any need you could potentially have?

Of course : home sweet home.. but after these pandemic times, you're always happy to receive invitations from other families.
I’m nearly sure that HPS voiceOver invitation to his Macuser-friends will be a successful event if e.g. me, the AirPods Pro
Would have been supported by a boot-script or similar by default, just a suggestion , and I am supported by many OSes, not only that from my creator.

> And why would you not share any word your "owner" (the person who spent money on you, so they could use you) says with your creator and all its connected systems and entities, so that they could be fully analyzed and monetized?

my current owner doesn't like being reminded that he doesn’t own much which could be monetized :-)

> -m

yours AirPods Pro

> p.s. seriously, if you want the full Apple experience, you really should stay within their ecosystem. Trying to compete with that (with all its questionable implications in terms of digital sovereignty) is pointless, especially if you are neither broke nor care too much about privacy. If these things mean nothing to you, just buy the off the shelf solution and save the time that tinkering with free alternatives (that will never be as smooth as "the real thing") would require and spend it on things that mean something to you (friends, family, charity).

p.s. (not everything strictly seriously;-).  ,  what you say about the full Apple experience applies to many (Desktop) Macusers but,  well, some years ago Apple cut out every integrated OpenSource web services and other services  from MacOS Server (for good reasons) and left Mac administrators alone with these always buggy OpenSource Operating Systems, then you get used to these free tinker alternatives. and after a while you even feel comfortably  at the vfs_ mount root-prompt, just to type in a question mark short before panic :-) …
I assume that HPS` VoiceOver port to FreeBSD is  dedicated to Mac addicts
And because of that :  Isn’t it more „privacy" with the AirPods Pro for this usecase  than with e.g. USB-speakers where everybody around can hear what comes out ;-)

K.

..thanks for writing and of course I leave this thread now because I know this is a technical mailing list, and not suitable for philosophizing, but nevertheless very  interesting and thumbs up for HPS VoiceOver project