Re: Accessibility in the FreeBSD installer and console

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 12:34:46 UTC
On 08/07/2022 13:18, Stefan Esser wrote:
> Am 08.07.22 um 12:53 schrieb Hans Petter Selasky:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here is the complete patch for Voice-Over in the FreeBSD console:
>>
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D35754
>>
>> You need to install espeak from pkg and then install the
>> /etc/devd/accessibility.conf file and then run sysctl
>> kern.vt.accessibility.enable=1 after booting the new kernel.
>>
>> It is freaking awesome!
>>
>> There might be some bugs, but it worked fine for me!
>
> The espeak port is marked for deletion on 2022-06-30 (but has
> not been deleted, yet):
>
> DEPRECATED=     Last release in 2014 and deprecated upstream
> EXPIRATION_DATE=2022-06-30
>
> There is espeak-ng, which took over the sources, and I have
> prepared a port update.

Many years ago, I added the speech synthesis APIs from OS X to GNUstep
using flite:

https://www.freshports.org/audio/flite/

flite it small (the port contains separate .so and .a files for each
voice, a minimal version needs only one), has no dependencies outside of
the base system, and is permissively licensed.  I haven't used it for a
while (apparently it's had a new major release since I last did), but I
was happily using it for text-to-speech on FreeBSD 10-15 years ago and
it is still in ports.

David