Re: On choice of graphics for laptops [Was: Re: Kernel changes causing AMDGPU / DRM to fail? i2c related?]

From: Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon_at_dec.sakura.ne.jp>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 00:39:46 UTC
On Sat, 29 Jan 2022 15:33:34 -0800
David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 07:25:49AM +0900, Tomoaki AOKI wrote:
> >  *I always prefer nvidia dGPU because of these dangerous span.
> >   So I've forced to choose ThinkPad P series (without "s") which
> >   usually can disable CPU-integrated Intel GPU and run nvidia GPU
> >   alone though BIOS setting.
>
> But then you lose suspend/resume, yes?
>
> Peace,
> david   (who has been using Dell laptops w/ Nvidia for years...)
> --
> David H. Wolfskill                              david@catwhisker.org
> Republican Senators had two chances to hold Donald Trump accountable
> for his malfeasance in office during his term -- and utterly failed.
>
> See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.

Unfortunately, yes.
Suspend/resume never worked for me after APM is gone...
(This means ACPI never allowed me to suspend/resume.)

I preferred safety on update rather than convenience of suspend/resume.

IIRC, in APM era, ATI (!) dGPU (no internal GPU existed) could sanely
suspend/resume. Already cannot confirm, though.

I started using nvidia dGPU models when no accelerated drivers were
provided for newly shipped notebooks with Intel or ATI (AMD) GPUs
(interlal or descrete). ITOH, nvidia "usually" provides their FreeBSD
drivers before notebooks are discontinued.

  *There WAS a crisis, though, WRT FreeBSD kernel functionality.

Once Linux kernel functionality that graphics drivers use become fixed
(no more KPI changes needed) and FreeBSD LinuxKPI catches up with it,
I can choose any notebook with (non-nvidia) internal GPU only or with
AMD dGPUs.

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>