Re: HEADS-UP: PIE enabled by default on stable/13

From: Marek Zarychta <zarychtam_at_plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 07:16:09 UTC
W dniu 24.01.2022 o 07:42, Marcin Wojtas pisze:
> +freebsd-stable@
>
> niedz., 23 sty 2022 o 11:36 Marcin Wojtas <mw@semihalf.com> napisał(a):
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As of 396e9f259d962 the base system binaries are now built as position-independent executable (PIE) by default, for 64-bit architectures. Thanks to that enabling ASLR can be done simply
>> by sysctls knobs when booting the kernel.
>>
>> If you track stable/13 and normally build WITHOUT_CLEAN you'll need to do one initial clean build -- either run `make cleanworld` or set WITH_CLEAN=yes.
>>
>> The change is a pure MFC of the changes integrated to -CURRENT early 2021 and no issues are expected, but in case any problems are observed, please issue a PR and/or let me know in this thread.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Marcin

Thanks for enabling this. If I understand it correctly we got some
improvements mentioned here[1] and it doesn't imply that ASLR has to be
enabled, especially kern.elf64.aslr.pie_enable can be still set to 0 ?

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-current@freebsd.org/msg183605.html

--
Marek Zarychta