Re: Deprecating smbfs(5) and removing it before FreeBSD 14

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 23:20:43 UTC
Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org> wrote:
[stuff snipped]
> So I am looking at the Apple and Solaris code, provided by rick. I am not
> sure if the illumos code provides SMB2 support. They based the solaris
> code on Apple SMB-217.x which is from OSX 10.4 . Which I am sure
> predates smb2 .
>
> https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/smb/tree/smb-217.19
>
> If I am following this correctly we need to look at Apple's smb client
> from OSX 10.9  which is where I start to see bits about smb2
>
> https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/smb/tree/smb-697.95.1/kernel/netsmb
>
> This is also where this stuff starts to look less and less like FreeBSD .
> Let me ask some of the illumos people I know to see if there is
> anything they can point to.
Yes. Please do so. I saw the "old" calls fo things like open and the
new ntcreate version, so I assumed that was the newer SMB.
If it is not, there is no reason to port it.

The new Apple code is a monster. 10x the lines of C and a lot of
weird stuff that looks Apple specific.

It might actually be easier to write SMBv2 from the spec than port
the Apple stuff.
--> I'll try and look at whatever Microsoft publishes w.r.t. SMBv2/3.

Thanks for looking at this, rick

--
mark saad | nonesuch@longcount.org<mailto:nonesuch@longcount.org>