Re: [RFC] Making mount_nfs to attempt NFSv4 before NFSv3 and NFSv2?

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 20:56:48 UTC
Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Rick Macklem wrote:
[stuff snipped]

> > Other than testing diskless NFS root file systems, I do not have a
> > strong opinion w.r.t. whether the default should change.
> >
> > If the default stays as NFSv3, a fallback to NFSv4 could be done, which
> > would handle the NFSv4 only server case. (No one uses NFSv2 any more,
> > so the fallback to NFSv2 is almost irrelevant, imho.)
>
> As you particiate in interoperability tests, would it make sense to
> check how those other implementations handle this case? I naively
> assume you have some contacts or a mailinglist you could use for that.
Not sure what you are asking, but...
The only other client I am familiar with is the Linux one.
It does NFSv4, then NFSv3 (I think they have dropped NFSv2 support).
Linux also does handle NFSv4 root file systems.

The other clients I know of (VMware and Windows) do not paticipate
in the IETF Working group's interoperability testing, unfortunately.
(And I have no contact with either of these groups.)

rick

Bye,
Alexander.

--