Re: problem with bhyve, ryzen 5800x, freebsd guest

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 14:39:17 UTC
On 2022-07-10 20:28, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2022 at 03:29:04PM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> A> I have a strange issue with running an 'appliance' image based on
> A> FreeBSD 12 in bhyve on a machine with Ryzen 5800x processor.
> A>
> A> The problem is that the guest would run for a while and then the host
> A> would suddenly reset itself.  It appears like a triple fault or
> A> something with similar consequences.
> A>
> A> The time may be from a few dozens of minutes to many hours.
> A>
> A> Just to be clear, no such thing occurs if I do not run the guest.
> A> Also, I have an older AMD system (pre-Zen), the problem does not happen
> A> there.
> A> A vanilla FreeBSD 12.3 installation that just sits idle also does not
> A> cause the problem.
> A>
> A> Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?
> A> What workaround or diagnostics to try?
> A> Anybody else seen something like this?
> A>
> A> Since it's the host that resets it would be hard to capture any traces.
>
> I also run bhyve on Ryzen since late 2021 and never had such an issue.
> But not FreeBSD 12, I run the head.

Thank you everyone who responded.  It seems that the problem was with
some BIOS configuration changes, probably related to the power settings.
Once I reset everything to factory defaults (plus some minimum "safe"
and well-understood changes) the problem went away.
It's really surprising that I saw it only with bhyve and only with the
particular kind of VMs.  Perhaps there was a workload pattern that
triggered a hardware bug or overloaded some specific module.

Anyways, sorry for the noise and thank you for the help.

--
Andriy Gapon

https://standforukraine.com
https://razomforukraine.org