Re: ext2fs: WARNING: mount of XXXX denied due to unsupported optional features: needs_recovery

From: FreeBSD User <freebsd_at_walstatt-de.de>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:22:01 UTC
On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:36:21 -0600
Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 1:29 PM Marek Zarychta
> <zarychtam@plan-b.pwste.edu.pl> wrote:
> >
> > W dniu 28.04.2022 o 21:21, FreeBSD User pisze:
> > > Running XigmaNAS 12.3.0.4.9009 on amd64 hardware, we try to mount HDD to rescue
> > > them and store the data on ZFS volumes. Mounting of the HDD doesn't work, FreeBSD
> > > 12.3 obviously lack in some etx2 features, namely "needs_recovery". The kernel
> > > reports:
> > >
> > > WARNING: mount of da4p3 denied due to unsupported optional features:
> > > needs_recovery
> > >
> > > How can this problem be solved?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > oh
> > >
> > Probably as the name of the mailing list suggest you should upgrade to
> > 14.0-CURRENT and maybe run fsck.ext2(8) on this partition to fix it.
> >
> > --
> > Marek Zarychta
> >

> You might also try sysutils/fusefs-ext2 from ports.

Hi all,

thanks for the response.

First of all, I'm bound to FreeBSD 12.3, which is the base for XigmaNAS (used for the
ease of use for those colleagues without FreeBSD experience). No clue, when this project
will jump over to 13.0 or 13.1.

Last time I installed ports on Xigmanas itself and tried to remove those ports, some of
the base system essential also got removed - so the system was wrecked. Therefore, I'm
planning to try jails and grant access to the jail and try to bind/mount the HDDs in
question into the jail for backup - if this task is not an impossible mission on FBSD.

Last, but the most problematic issue is: I do not know what the HDDs filesystem in
reality really is! There is an EFI partition (FAT32), there is a second one, fstyp report
unknown and here is the large partition identified as ext2fs by fstyp. But I think he
former administration in the department used LVM on the more recent Linux boxes, so I
might have to deal with that also.

Kind regards,

O. Hartmann
Another issue on several of those HDDs in question seems to be