Re: Cross-compile worked, cross-install not so much ...

From: Patrick M. Hausen <pmh_at_hausen.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:26:04 UTC
Hi,

> Am 25.04.2022 um 21:18 schrieb Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>:
> Cross install is not supported.  As you have seen, certain tools are
> bootstrapped on the build host and used during the install process.  You
> might be able to get away with nuking
> /usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/tmp/legacy (or maybe tmp) and then
> running `make toolchain` to build native versions of those tools.

that comes as a big surprise and disappointment. What is the point of cross-compiling, then?
How to update a small slow embedded platform?

I tried your suggestion - unfortunately no worky:

cd /usr/src/tools/build;  make DIRPRFX=tools/build/ DESTDIR=/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/tmp/legacy host-symlinks
Linking host tools into /usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/tmp/legacy/bin
cp: chflags: /usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/tmp/legacy/bin/basename: Operation not supported
*** Error code 1

So I will probably need to checkout and compile on the Pi. What are typical
build times on a CM3+? Plus I am going to wear down the builtin eMMC much faster.

Kind regards and thanks,
Patrick