Re: nullfs and ZFS issues

From: Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko_at_ambrisko.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:58:55 UTC
On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 11:47:22AM +0200, Mateusz Guzik wrote:
| Try this: https://people.freebsd.org/~mjg/vnlru_free_pick.diff
|
| this is not committable but should validate whether it works fine

As a POC it's working.  I see the vnode count for the nullfs and
ZFS go up.  The ARC cache also goes up until it exceeds the ARC max.
size tten the vnodes for nullfs and ZFS goes down.  The ARC cache goes
down as well.  This all repeats over and over.  The systems seems
healthy.  No excessive running of arc_prune or arc_evict.

My only comment is that the vnode freeing seems a bit agressive.
Going from ~15,000 to ~200 vnode for nullfs and the same for ZFS.
The ARC drops from 70M to 7M (max is set at 64M) for this unit
test.

Thanks,

Doug A.