Re: recover deleted file

From: Michael Gmelin <grembo_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 12:44:52 UTC

> On 16. Apr 2022, at 14:32, Sami Halabi <sodynet1@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> how to do step 3 /?

E.g., grep for something you know (like a phrase, unique name etc) from the file, then dump N times the expected file size from that position into another file, open the result in a “robust” text editor and stitch things together.

If your lost file is something binary (or even worse, encrypted), things get a lot more complicated of course. There might be tooling for this I’m not aware of, the few times this happened to me, lost files where C++ sources that were relatively easy to extract manually.

Best
Michael