Re: main-n254654-d4e8207317c results in "no pools available to import"

From: Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon_at_dec.sakura.ne.jp>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 21:50:05 UTC
On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 20:18:48 +0200
Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws> wrote:

> On 4/11/22 17:17, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> >
> > Did the usual git pull origin main and buildworld/buildkernel but after installkernel the machine will not boot.
> >
> > The rev seems to be main-n254654-d4e8207317c.
> >
> > I can boot single user mode and get a command prompt but nothing past
> > that. Is there something borked in ZFS in CURRENT ?
> >

> Up until now you are the only one with this error on the mailinglist today. So I doubt something is borked.
> You could consider to share more details about your setup to help people to think along with you.
>
> Regards,
> Ronald.

I have main at git c79331a42c308139828c1117f49224bb83617a53 booting
fine, and no commits relatd with ZFS exists within git d4e8207317c.

So the info at which commit was running before update would be needed.

I've encountered the situation like that, but it was far before OpenZFS
was introduced into base. If it's the same issue, /sbin/zfs SHALL be
updated in conjunction with kernel.

 *ATM, interface between kernel (or zfs.ko) and /sbin/zfs was changed.

If you can boot with any emergency environment (memstick or another
installation) and import now-non-bootable pool with e.g. `zpool import
-R /mnt -f ZPOOL`,
`cp /mnt/usr/obj/usr/src/[your.arch]/cddl/sbin/zfs/zfs /mnt/sbin/`
then exporting the pool would be worth trying.

Beware! If other updated components are mandatory for /sbin/zfs, the
above procedure is not at all enough. But would crash before actually
the pool is imported.

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>