Re: OpenSSH issue: 14-Current rejects non-publickey scp/ssh/rsync connectiosn all of the sudden

From: FreeBSD User <freebsd_at_walstatt-de.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 04:41:36 UTC
Am Thu, 9 Sep 2021 22:12:09 +0200
Philipp Ost <pj@smo.de> schrieb:

> On 9/9/21 9:15 PM, FreeBSD User wrote:
> [...]
> > What has changed in the recent 14-CURRENT OpenSSH update that dramatically that working
> > schematics do not work any more?
>
> OpenSSH has been updated to v8.7p1:
>
> https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=19261079b74319502c6ffa1249920079f0f69a72
>
> One of the more prominent changes is the deprecation of SHA1.
>
> There's some additional information here:
> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-hackers/2021-September/000289.html
>
> HTH
> Philipp

I was and I'm aware of the published changes and deprecating SHA1 would imply non-use of
SHA1-based public keys. But public key authentication works fine, for pure ssh and ssh-based
rsync (scp untested). Password authentication doesn't work anymore either for pure ssh, scp
and rsync. I can not find any hints to dramatic changes to that and this authentication scheme
doesn't even work with the standard/vanilla sshd_config for the 14-CURRENT server side.

And beware: this problem is present only in relations, were recent 14-CURRENT is the ssh
server.

oh

--
O. Hartmann