Re: -CURRENT compilation time

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 12:31:57 UTC
On 08/09/2021 11:52, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> Seems to me that there was an earlier mail about getting CMAKE to work
> with FreeBSD builds.  Could be worthwhile to look into getting ninja
> to work also.  But I could understand that there might be push-back,
> since the project prefers to use utilities from the source tree.

CMake is a build-system generator, Ninja is a build system.  Usually the
two are used together: CMake generates Ninja files, Ninja runs the
build.  Ninja is explicitly designed not to be written by hand.

CMake can also emit other things, including POSIX Makefiles, but the
Ninja build is usually the fastest.

CMake and Ninja are both in package systems for Windows, macOS, *BSD,
and all Linux distros that I've seen, unlike bmake, so  universally easy
to depend on for cross-builds.  Cross compiling with bmake is much
harder harder from anything that isn't FreeBSD.

David