Re: PAM module for loading ZFS keys on login

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen_at_sdaoden.eu>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 14:01:37 UTC
Eric McCorkle wrote in
 <b265fa82-53f2-59f4-65c2-b07a9412bf83@metricspace.net>:
 |Interesting, I wasn't aware of the upstream module.  I'd say that's

It's existence was the reason i have readded (now optional, and
a tad different) session support for my pam_xdg PAM module,
because i was thinking that, if such a many-eyes-seen thing of
a software project that claims to be and aims at being enterprise,
ships such a terrible and terribly broken thing, then i can also
offer session tracking.  But my manual at least states

  CAVEATS
       On Unix systems any “daemonized” program or script is reparented to the
       program running with PID 1, most likely leaving the PAM user session
       without PAM recognizing this.  Yet careless such code may hold or expect
       availability of resources of the session it just left, truly performing
       cleanup when sessions end seems thus unwise.  Since so many PAM modules
       do support session tracking and cleanup pam_xdg.so readded optional sup‐
       port for this.

But the real solution would be PAM session tracking in-kernel,
somehow, wouldn't it?
Also, on FreeBSD and OpenPAM many separate files exist in
/etc/pam.d for things which might open a session, whereas linuxpam
at least has /etc/pam.d/common-session; it has many common- things
in fact, and in /etc/pam.d/sshd i for example see

  #
  # /etc/pam.d/sshd - openssh service module configuration
  #

  auth        include common-auth

  account     include common-account

  password    include common-password