Re: Install to ZFS root is using device names hence failing when device tree is changed.

From: Peter Jeremy <peter_at_rulingia.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 08:29:11 UTC
On 2021-Sep-06 17:45:31 +0200, Karel Gardas <gardask@gmail.com> wrote:
>just installed 14-current snapshot from 2.9. on uefi amd64 machine.
>Installed from USB memstick which was detected as da0 into the ssd
>hanging on usb3 in external enclosure which was detected as da1.
>
>ZFS root pool is then using /dev/da1p3 as swap and /dev/da1p1 as
>/boot/efi and probably also something as root zpool.
>
>Anyway, expected thing happen. When I pulled out USB stick identified as
>da0 on reboot, the drive on USB3 switch from da1 to da0 and result is
>unbootable system with complains about various /dev/da1xx drives missing
>for swap efi boot etc.

Can you give more details about exactly what the errors and when they
occur during the boot cycle.  In particular:
* Low-level boot (anything prior to the FreeBSD kernel) knows nothing
  about da0 or da1, so any problems there are associated with your
  BIOS config, not FreeBSD.
* The swap partition will, by default, appear as a hard-wired device
  name in /etc/fstab - that will definitely need updating.  This will
  prevent the "swapon" working but won't prevent the boot.
* ZFS doesn't care about device names - it looks for ZFS labels on all
  possible devices.

--
Peter Jeremy