Re: Deprecating smbfs(5) and removing it before FreeBSD 14

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 10:59:40 UTC
On 28/10/2021 16:26, Shawn Webb wrote:
> I wonder if providing a 9pfs client would be
> a good step in helping deprecate smbfs.

Note: WSL2 uses 9p-over-VMBus, but most of the Linux world is moving
away from 9p-over-VirtIO to FUSE-over-VirtIO.  This has a few big
advantages:

  - The kernel already has solid FUSE support so this isn't a completely
new code path.

  - FUSE is designed around POSIX filesystem semantics, 9p isn't and
this mismatch causes problems in places.

  - FUSE filesystems can be exposed almost directly to the guest.  For
example, if you have a networked filesystem you can run the FUSE FS in
an unprivileged userspace process and remove the entire host kernel
storage stack from the attack surface for the guest.

  - FUSE allows exposing buffer cache pages.  The FUSE-over-VirtIO
mechanism makes it fairly easy to expose read-only root filesystem
images to guests.

The last point is especially important for container workloads where you
may have hundreds of containers in lightweight VMs on a single node all
using the same base layer.

David