Re: Deprecating smbfs(5) and removing it before FreeBSD 14

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 20:49:14 UTC
On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 09:33:18PM +0200, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> On 28/10/2021 18:25, Ed Maste wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 at 11:05, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Please do not remove what is not broken.
> >
> > That is exactly the problem though: it was broken. It was fixed only
> > because the CHERI folks found that it wasn't working and fixed it, and
> > they are not going to be using it much longer. If nobody else
> > regularly tests it in -CURRENT it will break again, and will end up
> > broken in a release.
>
> Can this problem be covered by some automated tests to catch it sooner -
> before release?

FWIW, any testing at all would have caught this.  It paniced on unmount
in a kernel with INVARIANTS.  The awkward thing about testing it is that
it requires a server.  We'd have caught it sooner if we hadn't had a
major stall in merging FreeBSD head to CheriBSD.

We're hoping to stop using it because it's slow, server support will
eventually go away, etc.  We don't really have an opinion about it
staying or going.

-- Brooks