Re: Curious minds .. etc

From: Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 11:37:14 UTC
On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 01:07:47 -0700
Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Several years ago (OK, maybe 12 years ago) I did an experiment where I unpacked a
> freebsd 1.1 (or maybe 2.0?) image into a subdirectory, and after installing various
> compat packagesand options and a.out support and changing MAX_PID to be 60000, I was able to
> chroot to it and do a "make world". Things were stupidly fast.
>

> Has anyone been able to do such a thing in recent years? One wonders what options one
> would need and what the oldest Version we could run in this way was..

Well, there's still a /usr/ports/misc/compat4x, which is the oldest version
supported.  So that could still work, although it's not obvious whether it
will work with e.g. FBSD-14.  The most recent compat version is for 12x.

The good old days, when the kernel was on the order of 90kB and 256kB
of memory was a lot and big disks had one or two hundred MB.

--
Gary Jennejohn