Re: git: "overlay" of own remote-branch on official freebsd-ports repo

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 18:01:56 UTC
On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 05:31:48PM +0200, FreeBSD User wrote:
> I'd like to ask how FreeBSD developers and maintainers do the trick. If there is an
> official cookbook fpr maintainers (I haven't found it yet ...), please be so kind and
> refer to it. Any advice is welcome.

If you only want to add extra ports, I'd recommend maintaining a
separate repo for use with the ports collection's under-documented
overlay feature.  This avoids the need to rebase or merge your trees.

You create the overlay in poudriere with something like:

poudriere ports -c -p cheri-ports-overlay -U https://github.com/CTSRD-CHERI/cheri-ports-overlay.git -m git -B main

You then use it by adding -O cheri-ports-overlay to your other poudriere
commands like poudriere bulk.

Note that you may need to install poudriere-devel or install it by hand
to get this feature.

-- Brooks