Re: Writing large build logs to NFS extremely slow?

From: Felix Palmen <felix_at_palmen-it.de>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 15:50:33 UTC
* Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> [20211009 15:35]:
> Felix Palmen wrote:
> Assuming your NFS performance is acceptable for other things and it
> is only this log file that is a problem, then I doubt there is much you
> can do to improve it.

Yes, that's the only problem I found so far…

> --> Append (as in O_APPEND opens) are a poor case for NFS, since there
>       is no append write in NFS. To approximate append write, it must flush
>       all dirty data to the server, do a Getattr to find out the file's current
>       size and then do the write (over and over and over again).

Ok, thanks for the insight here! So maybe, I could have a look at
poudriere's code? If I understand you correctly, keeping the file open
and just issuing more write() calls wouldn't trigger that problem?

> You could try the "nocto" mount option, which might help, if the log file
> is being re-opened many times, but I doubt it will help.

Well, I take any suggestion, so will try that as well and report back,
thanks again!

Side note, please don't CC/To me, I'm subscribed the list ;)

--
 Dipl.-Inform. Felix Palmen  <felix@palmen-it.de>   ,.//..........
 {web}  http://palmen-it.de  {jabber} [see email]   ,//palmen-it.de