Re: Reducing SIGINFO verbosity

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 11:39:26 UTC
> On Thu, 2021-05-20 at 15:57 -0700, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> > No, I don?t think there?s any reason to default it differently on
> > stable vs
> > current. I think it?s useful (and I prefer the more verbose form,
> > which
> > isn?t the default).
> >
> > Conrad
> >

> So... there are thousands of freebsd users, who don't care about this
> noisy stack trace stuff at all.  And there are dozens of freebsd
> developers, and amongst them there are maybe, what... a half dozen at
> best that want this info when they hit ^T?
>
> So clearly, the right decision is to make maximal noise the default,
> and not just in the development branches.  It doesn't matter how much
> it bothers the users as long as a few developers are happy.
>
> And people moan about freebsd's dwindling user base and wonder why it's
> withering away.

I'll add my $1.00 to the dog pile.  Ian is 1000% correct here, as a
person who often interacts with the "non-developer" userbase they
do not like, nor appreciate these "developer friendly" changes
that make using the system annoying to them.

You may say the project is not getting feedback about this... let
me cover that too.. the feedback is silent, they simply move to
another platform that is more conformant with how they expect/want
the system to behave.

A lot of people see me pushing back on things often and think it
is just me being a really quirky user, well yes, to some extent,
but I am a "user" first, and a developer second, and I interact
a great deal with the "users" of freeBSD, far more than I do with
the developers.

LIttle changes is all it takes to annoy them enough they simply
go some place else... colourised ls that suddenly showed up landed
me at least 4 people going "wtf".  Change to more/less behavior
got me a few as well, it was like ":why?"  The less people just
simply set it in 2 /etc files and the system can switch back and
forth, but now WHO has to make that setting tweak has changed...

It is the death of a 1M pin pricks... please stop the bleeding...