Re: Reducing SIGINFO verbosity

From: Peter Libassi <peter_at_libassi.se>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 03:02:53 UTC

> 21 maj 2021 kl. 03:42 skrev Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>:
>
> On Thu, 2021-05-20 at 15:57 -0700, Conrad Meyer wrote:
>> No, I don’t think there’s any reason to default it differently on
>> stable vs
>> current. I think it’s useful (and I prefer the more verbose form,
>> which
>> isn’t the default).
>>
>> Conrad
>>

> So... there are thousands of freebsd users, who don't care about this
> noisy stack trace stuff at all.  And there are dozens of freebsd
> developers, and amongst them there are maybe, what... a half dozen at
> best that want this info when they hit ^T?
>
> So clearly, the right decision is to make maximal noise the default,
> and not just in the development branches.  It doesn't matter how much
> it bothers the users as long as a few developers are happy.
>
> And people moan about freebsd's dwindling user base and wonder why it's
> withering away.
>
> — Ian

Well, from my 30+ years in the business I’ve learned that developers actually don’t care about the users. For  assessment of new features and maintaining the usability of a product there are Architects and Architect forums.

The correct and conservative way would have been that this change passed the forum and there a desicion was made to enable/disable the new feature _and_ regardless, inform the users via the release notes  and man pages of the new feature, including information how they can enable/disable the new feature.

/Peter