Re: storcli: howto crossflash Fujitsu PRAID400i to LSI3008 HBA?

From: Chris <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 15:01:09 UTC
On 2021-06-23 04:04, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Hello out there.
>
> I have a bunch of Fujitsu PRAID400i Controller from some servers we switch
> FreeBSD driven systems and ZFS. I will not use RAID controllers with ZFS so
> tried to cross flash these controllers, but without any success. The DOS
> tools
> I use produce on several mainboards a PAL error. The motherboard's UEFI I
> uitilise doesn't provide a UEFI shell, so at that point it seems I'm stuck.
> found the FreeBSD port storcli, but the tool doesn't crossflash - or it
> doesn't
> reveal its magic knobs to do so.
>
> The sas3flash FreeBSD binary imag from Broadcom
> https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9300-8i
>
> doesn't recognize the test adapter (the adapters seem to have different
> stages
> of firmware brandings, some from 2015 do have Avago, other, newer from 2019,
> seem to be branded with Broadcom):
>
> pciconf -lvbc
>
> mrsas0@pci0:1:0:0:      class=0x010400 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x1000
> device=0x005f subvendor=0x1734 subdevice=0x1211
>     vendor     = 'Broadcom / LSI'
>     device     = 'MegaRAID SAS-3 3008 [Fury]'
>     class      = mass storage
>     subclass   = RAID
>     bar   [10] = type I/O Port, range 32, base 0xe000, size 256, enabled
>     bar   [14] = type Memory, range 64, base 0xfb300000, size 65536, enabled
>     bar   [1c] = type Memory, range 64, base 0xfb200000, size 1048576,
> enabled
>     cap 01[50] = powerspec 3  supports D0 D1 D2 D3  current D0
>     cap 10[68] = PCI-Express 2 endpoint max data 256(4096) FLR NS
>                  max read 512
>                  link x4(x8) speed 8.0(8.0) ASPM disabled(L0s)
>     cap 05[a8] = MSI supports 1 message, 64 bit, vector masks
>     cap 11[c0] = MSI-X supports 97 messages, enabled
>                  Table in map 0x14[0xe000], PBA in map 0x14[0xf000]
>     ecap 0001[100] = AER 2 0 fatal 0 non-fatal 1 corrected
>     ecap 0019[1e0] = PCIe Sec 1 lane errors 0
>     ecap 0004[1c0] = Power Budgeting 1
>     ecap 0016[190] = DPA 1
>     ecap 000e[148] = ARI 1
>
> The sas3flash utility reports:
>
> # /tmp/Installer_P16_for_FreeBSD/sas3flash_freebsd_amd64_rel/sas3flash
> Avago Technologies SAS3 Flash Utility
> Version 17.00.00.00 (2018.04.02)
> Copyright 2008-2018 Avago Technologies. All rights reserved.
>
>         No Avago SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!
>         Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
>         Exiting SAS3Flash.
>

> Does anyone have had success on flashing this type of SAS controller from IR
> firmware to IT firmware?
I've done a bunch of variously branded 6Gb, and 12Gb SAS controllers to turn
them
into pass(4) devices. It's been about a year and a half since my last
efforts. So
my memory may be a bit off. But I did have problems a couple of times like
you and
I was able to overcome it by using a different motherboard. IOW some did well
in
DOS whereas some preferred the UEFI UI, and one needed a different UEFI -- a
real
PITA. I have a stockpile of various flashing utils and notes/procedures from
both
myself and others. I'll make a tarball out of everything I've got and give
you a
link (offlist). Maybe something I have will work better that your tools.

HTH

--Chris