Re: Wake from sleep with nvidia-modeset

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 20:30:27 UTC
On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 06:15:19PM +0100, Graham Perrin wrote:
> nvidia-driver-460.84 from ports, nvidia-modeset, NVIDIA Quadro K1100M
> (GK107GLM), HP ZBook 17 G2, KDE Plasma.
>
> <https://bsd-hardware.info/?probe=c7fb9e9dee>
>
> An initial wake from sleep was almost entirely successful, one exception:
>
> * title bars of windows lacked colour.
>
> Since then: all sleeps succeed, however I can never wake the computer.
> There's an (immediate) dimly lit screen but nothing visible, and no
> response to keyboard or trackpad input. It's necessary to force off the
> computer.
>
> I experimented with nvidia-driver-390-390.144, no better.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> I'd _love_ it to work, and the one near-success makes me believe that
> it's possible.

I presume (since this is to current@) that you are workiing with head
(FreeBSD 14).

My older laptop is also using nvidia-modest from nvidia-driver-460.84;
hardware is NVIDIA GPU Quadro K2100M (GK106GL) (on a Dell PRecision
M4800).

Suspend/resume almost always works while running stable/12, tested most
recently running:

FreeBSD 12.2-STABLE #1099 stable/12-n233460-ac56cd3ba62: Tue Jul 27 03:32:24 PDT 2021     root@g1-55.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/CANARY  amd64 1202508 1202508

but last I checked, resume fails for stable/13 and head (I track
each of the 3 daily).

One possibly-salient difference is that I had been running with

kern.vty="sc"

(and still do, for stable/12), but since the VBE changes earlier
this year, I let kern.vty take the default value (which I am not
recalling at the moment) for stable/13 and head.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill                              david@catwhisker.org
Life is not intended to be a zero-sum game.

See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.