Re: etcupdate: Failed to build new tree

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 04:53:57 UTC
On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 2:31 AM Nuno Teixeira <eduardo@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Last update I have some issues with etcupdate:
>
> etcupdate warning: "No previous tree to compare against, a sane comparison
> is not possible."
>
> That I corrected with:
>
> etcupdate extract
> etcupdate diff > /tmp/etc.diff
> patch -R < /tmp/etc.diff
> (etcupdate diff doesn't show any diffs.)
>
> Today I've just updated current and etcupdate -p gives:
>
> "Failed to build new tree"
>
> What might be wrong?
>
> Thanks
> Nuno Teixeira

I'm no expert. In fact, I just started using etcupdate in the past couple
of months but I think you need to read the man page section on "Default
Mode". In most cases, it looks to me like there is no reason to specify the
mode. Default Mode just does the right thing when starting from scratch.
There are clearly reasons to use the modes for various reasons. but I don't
think it should be used in most cases.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com