Re: Make etcupdate bootstrap requirement due to previous mergemaster usage more clear in handbook

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 17:05:17 UTC
On 12/3/21 4:58 AM, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> So beside the update of documentation I really would like to see some
> changes to etcupdate workflow where files are modified in temporary
> location and moved to destination only if they do not contain any syntax
> breaking changes like <<<<, ====, >>>>.

This is what etcupdate does, so I'm a bit confused why you are getting
merge markers in /etc.  When an automated 3-way merge doesn't work due
to conflicts, the file with the conflicts is saved in
/var/db/etcupdate/conflicts/<path>.  It is only copied to /etc when you
mark it as fully resolved when running 'etcupdate resolve'.  Perhaps
you had multiple conflicts in a modified file and when editing the file
you only fixed the first one and then marked it as resolved at the
prompt?  Even in that case etcupdate explicitly prompts you a second time
after you say "r" with "File <foo> still has conflicts, are you sure?",
so it will only install a file to /etc with those changes if you have
explicitly confirmed you want it.

--
John Baldwin