New loader_lua.efi causes kernels to hang at boot

From: Dustin Marquess <dmarquess_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 20:27:02 -0500
I am upgrading a -CURRENT box from a build that's exactly 2 weeks old to
one I built about 2 hours ago. After installkernel I updated the bootloader
the same way I normally do:

# mount_msdosfs /dev/da8p1 /mnt
# cp /mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi /mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.bak
# cp loader_lua.efi /mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
# umount /mnt

After rebooting, however, the kernel hangs right after:

real memory  = 137438953472 (131072 MB)
avail memory = 133651951616 (127460 MB)
ACPI APIC Table: <LENOVO SV-INT  >

It never makes it to this line:

FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 32 CPUs
FreeBSD/SMP: 2 package(s) x 8 core(s) x 2 hardware threads

So I rebooted a selected kernel.old at the boot menu and.. same thing.
That's strange!

So I booted off a USB stick, mounted the EFI partition and copied
BOOTX64.bak back to BOOTX64.efi and now the machine booted normally.

So for some reason the newer loader_lua.efi is causing both the new kernel
AND the old kernel to hang, but the older loader_lua.efi seems to work with
both no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Dustin