Re: Current status of ZFS AMIs on EC2?

From: ericr <erobison_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 22:13:21 UTC
On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 2:50 AM Pat Maddox <pat@patmaddox.com> wrote:

> Hi there, I came across Colin’s 2019 post announcing ZFS AMIs for EC2
> [1]. I haven’t seen any more recent information regarding ZFS on EC2.
> I’ve launched one instance, and it appears to work fine from initial
> tests (including recovering a known working boot env using beadm).
>
> I have also installed the official 12 and 13 releases, and see that they
> are UFS.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. Is anyone using the ZFS AMIs for production?

Yes.  ~30 in five regions, mostly 12.2-RELEASE.

> 2. Why has ZFS not been incorporated into the official releases?

$COLIN = 1

Hopefully some day soon ZFS will be the default filesystem for all installs
and images.

For now, we use the 12.0-RELEASE AMI Colin built (Thanks Colin!) and
upgrade to 12.2, then make an AMI of it.  If we want 13.0, we'll upgrade a
copy and create another AMI.  It's not painful, and it doesn't take long.
There are other ways to do it, but being lazy I find that freebsd-update -r
takes the least effort.  Once you make a 'base' AMI, you don't have to deal
with it again.

[1]