Re: Current status of ZFS AMIs on EC2?

From: Colin Percival <cperciva_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 20:22:22 UTC
On 9/23/21 1:49 AM, Pat Maddox wrote:
> Hi there, I came across Colin’s 2019 post announcing ZFS AMIs for EC2 [1]. I
> haven’t seen any more recent information regarding ZFS on EC2. I’ve launched
> one instance, and it appears to work fine from initial tests (including
> recovering a known working boot env using beadm).
>
> I have also installed the official 12 and 13 releases, and see that they are UFS.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. Is anyone using the ZFS AMIs for production?

Yes.  (Not me, but I've heard from several people who are.  I'll let them
identify themselves if they choose to do so.)

> 2. Why has ZFS not been incorporated into the official releases?

ZFS, and other "flavoured" AMIs, were blocked waiting for this:

https://www.daemonology.net/blog/2021-08-31-FreeBSD-AMI-SSM-Public-Parameters.html

Now it's just a matter of finding time; my current top priority for EC2
is speeding up the FreeBSD boot process.

--
Colin Percival

Colin Percival