Re: RFC: Switching FreeBSD/EC2 images to UEFI boot

From: Pete Wright via freebsd-cloud <freebsd-cloud_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 09:59:53 -0700
On 8/28/21 9:05 PM, Colin Percival wrote:
> Hi Cloudy people,
>
> We have a decision to make and I'm looking for input from the community:
> Should FreeBSD's x86 EC2 AMIs be marked as booting using UEFI instead of
> the current (default) BIOS boot mode?
I am in favor of making UEFI the default.  faster boot times and more
parity with linux would both be wins for me.  having said that I've
standardized on Nitro instance types a year or so ago, and use AMD
instance types for my BSD systems so there would be no downside for me
in particular.

i did see on twitter that at least one person noted that free credits
only apply to T2 instance class systems, so their may be some downside
for people investigating moving to EC2 if they want to leverage the free
tier.  this make we wonder, do linux vendors provide support for both
BIOS and UEFI enabled systems?

Cheers,
-pete

--